If youre lacking the time it takes to have a regular fitness regimen because of work, kids, or life in general then simple exercises you can do while at work could be just what you need. These 7 simple exercises and tips you can do while at work are fast and easy. You can still have a great work out without the need for a gym.
1. Instead of using a desk chair, sit on a large exercise ball.
The balance required for sitting on the ball is a great core stabilizer. Youll be toning and strengthening your ab muscles without even realizing youre doing it. It takes very little to no concentration, which can leave your brain power for your work.
2. Resistance bands are great for your toning legs and arms. You can hook the bands to the legs of your desk or chair and do arm or leg reps while youre sitting at your desk. If you are on the phone, switch hands as you do the reps. If youre typing at your computer, work your legs with the bands.
3. Walk. During breaks walk as much as possible around the office. If you have ankle weights, then strap those on while youre walking for an added boost.
4. Leave the elevator behind and take the stairs. Even if youre on the 14th floor, walk up two to three flights and then catch the elevator the rest of the way. Doing just this one thing alone gets your heart pumping, and releases endorphins. It provides a great start to the day which both your body and brain will thank you.
5. Parking. You may not think that your parking spot has anything to do with your fitness level, but parking further away can actually provide a mini cardio session. Make sure to leave extra time so you arent late, and park in the furthest parking spot you can find. Strap on those ankle weights and either walk, run, or march up to the building. Dont worry about how you will look doing it because the body youll gain from it will look and make you feel even better.
6. Stretching is always important. Sitting at a desk for 8-9 hours a day can lead to muscle stiffness, loss of flexibility, back and neck pain, restless legs, blood clots, and stiff joints. Of the things you can do for the health of your body, stretching is the most important. You should be getting up every hour to stretch.
7. Easy stretches you can do at your desk can be anything from reaching up to the ceiling with both arms, to touching your toes, to ballet plies. Make sure to give your back a good twist from side to side to stretch both your spine and your abs. Writers belly happens when the ligaments in your abs shorten because of sitting for long periods of time resulting in a pot belly, so make sure youre stretching those abs to keep them long and lean.
Finding time to work out and keeping fit can be challenging, but implementing just a few simple things throughout your work day can really make a difference.